The Mosque of Abu El-Dahab locates in El-Azhar street facing the mosque of El-Azhar and next to the complex of El-Ghuri as well. Eastward this complex appears Khan El-Zarakisha which is a beautiful building with harmoniously arranged windows that traces back to the 16th century. This mosque was a part of a complex that was regarded as one of the greatest religious structures at that time that was consisting of a Madrasa, a Tekiya, a library, and a fountain and latrines. It was surrounded by a number of small shops used for sponsoring the building with the required money for its maintenance.
The mosque was constructed by Mohamed Abu El-Dahab who was a prominent Mamluk of Ali Beck El-Kabir and he played a great political role in the period from1772 to 1775. He supported Ali Beck in his attempt to restore the Mamluk Empire for along time. After that he revolted against him in an attempt to rule Egypt. In 1775, Abu El-Dahab died in a battle against the Governor of Acre in Palestine. The Minaret of the Mosque follows the Mamluk style rather than the Ottoman style, in spite of being built in the Ottoman period. This is clear in the tall base and the octagonal transition zone that distinguish the Mamluk Minarets.
At the same time the interior part of the mosque is typically designed on the Ottoman style with a covered portico surmounted by a shallow dome from three sides. From inside the mosque is admired for the beautiful arched dome and the two windows in the corners. The main courtyard is also distinguished by its width. Behind the beautiful Mashrabiya screen and a handsome tympanum with tiles, stands the ablution area. The doors of the mosque are finely ornamented with recesses. In the north-east corner of the mosque one can find a small funerary chamber of Abu El-Dahab and his sister Zulaykha who was the wife of Ibrahim Bey El-Kabir.