The major part of the original Temple of Khnum (Khnom) lies now beneath Esna's houses and a big part of its blocks where used as a construction material. The only surviving section from the temple is the Hypostyle Hall. This hall can be reached through the Nile Bank, by crossing the city's handicraft market and using a staircase (as it lies 9 meters deep).
The temple was begun in the reigns of Ptolemy VI Philometor and Ptolemy VIlI Euergetes II, and remained in use through the Roman Period. It was dedicated to the Triad of Khnum, Neith, and Hak.
In 1840, the temple was excavated by the Egyptian army, and was cleaned later by the Antiquities Service. It is unlikely that further excavations could be performed since these operations will require the evacuation of inhabitants from many house...Read More