The island was given to Lord Kitchener as a gratitude for his services in the Sudan Campaign (1896-1898). Kitchener transformed the small island into a paradise of exotic trees and plants, and carefully planned walkways. Later, it became a property of the Egyptian Ministry of agriculture to be used as a research center. The Botanic Island is the second in the river, in the area of Aswan, after the Elephantine Island. It is now a public park that can be reached by motorboats.
The Ruins of Khnum Temple At Elephantine Island
It is believed to have been built by Queen Hatshepsut of the 18th Dynasty. It lies on the south side of Elephantine Island. Khnum was one of the important gods of Ancient Egypt who, although not reaching the rank of a national god, was considered the manufacturer of man. In his cir