Prince Mentuherkhepshef was a son of Ramses IX. He was the only prince to be buried like kings in a decorated tomb in the Valley of the Kings. Tomb KV 19 was originally for a prince called Ramses Setherkhepshef (whose burial place has never been found), but it was taken over by prince Mentuherkhepshef, as inscribed on the reveals of the tomb's entrance jambs. The tomb of Mentuherkhepshef was discovered on the eastern side of the valley in 1817 by the famous Italian Egyptologist Giovanni Belzoni. It lies below the tomb of Queen Hatshepsut (KV 20) and directly above New Kingdom tomb KV 60. The total area of the tomb measures about 132.83 m².
- The Architecture of The Tomb of Mentuherkhepshef (KV 19)
The Tomb of Mentuherkhepshef (KV 19) might have been one of the most important tombs in the Valley of the Kings, as its corridors and gates are among the widest of tombs there. The only decorated part of the tomb is Corridor B with an outstanding quality of work. At the beginning of the corridor, a single-leaf door is painted on each wall and on each is a now-damaged text. On the left, there is Chapter 139 from the Book of the Dead. On the right, there is Chapter 123 from the same book. These are variations of a Spell for Entering the Great Mansion. On the right wall of Corridor C, the King stands before Ptah, Thoth Banebdjed, Hapy, Duamutef, Meretseger, and Sekhmet. The fine detailed costumes of the deities are virtually admired. On the left wall, there are seven scenes separated by columns of text showing Mentuherkhepshef in adoration to Osiris, Ptah Ta-tjenen, Khonsu, Bastet, Imsety, Qebehsenuef, and Amun-Ra.