A Guide to Public and Private Transport in Egypt
How to get around Egypt by Public Transport, Taxi and by Car ?!
Airlines in Egypt :
Egypt is connected with all the major capitals of the world through a network of both the Egyptian airlines and other foreign airlines. The national airline of Egypt is Egypt Air that provides regular domestic flights. Such flights take off from Cairo and land in tourist towns: Alexandria, Luxor, Aswan, Abu Simbel, Hurghada, Sharm EI-Sheikh, Taba-Kharga, Dakhla, Saint Catherine, Port Said and Mersa Matruh.
Other charter lines, which are operated mostly through travel agents offer some domestic flights mainly to Abu Simbel, Aswan, Luxor, and Sharm El-Sheikh.
Airports in Egypt :
First, the following is a list that includes the Egyptian international airports:
– Cairo Airport.
– Alexandria Airport.
– Luxor Airport.
– Hurghada Airport.
– Sharm El-Sheikh International Airport(Ophira International Airport)
-Taba International Airport.
– Airport Saint Catherine.
– Borg El- Arab International Airport.
-Shark El Oweinat International Airport.
Second, the following is a list that includes the Egyptian cities in which there are airfields for domestic flights:
– Marsa Matruh.
– Abu Simbel.
– Shark EI-Oweinat.
– EI-Wadi El-Gedid(New Valley).
– Tor Sina.
Egyptian Maritime Lines
The Egyptian international ports (including Alexandria, Port- Said, Suez, Nuweiba, Safaga, and Damietta) receive ships from Europe. Moreover, there are shipping lines with Jordan and Saudi Arabia, with regular trips between the following ports: • Suez-Aqaba. • Suez-Aqaba-Jeddah.
• Safaga-Aqaba-Jeddah. • Sharm EI-Sheikh-Aqaba-Eilat. • Safaga-Dhabba(Saudi Arabia). • Nuweiba-Jeddah-Aqaba. – Egyptian Company for Maritime transportation, Tel.: 5745755/5748278.
– Mena Tours, Tel.: 3930775 Fax: 3927022. -Sheriff Tours, Tel.:2655446 Fax:3620824. – Travco Transport and Tourism, Tel.: 065/447572 Fax: 447573 – PORT SAID-line, – MARÏTIMA-gates of the Mediterranean, -Nascotours: Cairo Tel.:3914682 Fax:3900664 Port-Said Tel.:066/229500 Fax:066/238850.
There are many steamers that go from Wadi Halfa in the Sudan to Aswan in Egypt. Information is available from the Nile Navigation Company Limited, Ramses Square ( in the train station), and Nile Maritime Agency, 8 Quasr El Nil, both in Cairo; and the Nile Company for River Transport, 7 Atlas Building, Aswan. All arrangements to enter Sudan, including visas, must be made in Cairo. For further information, kindly contact the Authority Wadi El-Nil Navigation: In Aswan, dial: 097/322398 Fax: 097/303801
Egyptian International Motorways :
Egypt is linked to some Arab countries through a network of buses. Tourists can travel by motorways to any of the Egyptian land neighbors across the borders at Salloum, Taba, and Rafah. For more information, kindly contact the following companies:
x 1- Al Ittihad Al Arabi Company (Super Jet)
The company has international lines departing from Libya to Egypt, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, Abu-Dhabi, Syria, and Lebanon.
Plus, it has domestic lines departing from Cairo and Alexandria to all the Egyptian spots.
The company’s services cover Marsa Matruh, Salloum, Siwa, port-Said, Suez, Ismailia, Red Sea’ cities, Sohag, Assiut, Al-Minya, Beni-Suif, Al Fayyum, Zagazig, Damietta, Mansura, and North Sinai town.
The company’s offices in Cairo:
– Reservations Office and terminal Torgoman (domestic and international) Te1.:02/5798181.
– Reservations Office and terminal Almaz (domestic and international)
– Reservations Office and terminal Abdel Moneim Riyadh.
The company’s offices Alexandria:
– Reservations Office and Rami El-terminal.
– Reservations Office and terminal Agami.
Tel.: 03/43366222- Gharb El Delta Company in Egypt
– (AI-Sahm EI-Dahabi: The Golden Arrow):
– Domestic Lines: Cairo -Matruh- Siwa.
– In Alexandria the following cities: Sohag, Assiut, Al-Minya, Beni-Suif, Al-Fayym, Port-Said, Hurghada, Sharm El-Shiekh PS:
– The line Matruh, and El-Sahel El Shamaly in summer only.
– Reservations Office and terminal Giza
– Reservations Office and terminal Torgoman
– Reservations Office terminal and mills
– Reservations Office and terminal Abdel Moneim Riyadh
3- Shark El Delta Compamy in Egypt
– International lines:
Beni Ghazi (Libya), Tripoli (Libya), Tunisia, Morocco, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Lebanon, Syria, Palestine, United Arab Emirates, and Qatar.
– Domestic Lines:
The Southern Sina: El Tor , Sharm El Sheikh, Dahab, Saint Catherine, Nouébaa, Taba, The North Sinai, EI-Arish, and EI-Qantarah.
– Office of International Terminal and reserve Sinai (Lines International and The Sinai, South and North) Abbasia
– Office reserve and terminal Qolaly
Tel.: 5766514 (the cities of: Mansurah, Damietta, Zaqaziq, and Ras el-Barr)
– Office reserve and terminal Torgoman. Tel.: 5742814 (the cities of: Suez, Ismailla, Port Said, EI-Arish, Sharm Sheikh).
– Reservations Office and terminal Suez (cities: El-tor , Sharm EI-Sheikh, Dahab, Santa Catalina, Nouébaa, Taba).
4- Upper Egypt For Transport Company
The company has lines departing from the governorates of Upper Egypt and Red Sea reaching various places in the country.
-Office of Suez (the cities of: Asuan, Luxor , Beni-Suif, Sohag).
-Office of Alexandria (the cities of: Al Fayyum, Beni-Suif, Minieh, Asyut, Sohag, Safaga).
For more information, kindly contact:
– Reservations Office Tagnid (Cairo)
Tel.: 2447467 (lines of Upper Egypt and Sinai North and South governorates).
-Office Torgoman Tel.: 5760261 (the cities of: Farafra, Khargah, Dakhlah, Arish, Sharm EI-Sheikh, in addition to the Red Sea).
-Office Abboud Tel.: 4316723 (lines of Upper Egypt governorate).
Railways in Egypt
A highly efficient network of railways in Cairo connects all the Egyptian cities. All trains have luxury cars, first and second class. The Egyptian Railway Organization provides tour operators with tourist wagons. Such wagons are for both in first and second classes (round-trip ticket, and hotel accommodation with tariff reduced). At anytime through the year, you can take the train and enjoy an exciting journey in Cairo, Alexandria, luxor, or Aswan. The Egyptian Railway Organization also offers special discounts for second and third classes, normal wagons, and groups from abroad. There is also a 50% discount for foreign students who come to Egypt; if they submit the appropriate identification. For further information, kindly contact the International Railway: Tel.:025753555- 025749474.
Taxis in Egypt
Taxis are usually the easiest means of transportation in any Egyptian city. In major cities, although most taxis are equipped with taximeter, both the passenger and the taxi driver should set a fare as it changes according to the distance traveled.
Limousine Services in Egypt
Limousines (large passenger vehicles driven by a chauffeur)
Tourists can take a rental car or a limousine from the airport to any place in Egypt, according to a fare depending on the distance. Tourists can also phone for a limousine from the hotel where they are hosted. For more information, please contact any of the following offices:
– Limousine Egypt:
– Misr Travel Tower – Abbasia 2856721.
– Avis: 16, C. Maamal EI-Sokkar, Garden City 7948698.
– Budget: 5 C. Maqrizy – Zamalek 7359474.
– Beta: 15 C. Mahmoud Bassiouny – Tahri 5746169.
– Hertz: 195 C. July 26 – Agouza 7472238.
– Sahara: 14 C. Tebah – Mohandessin 7488958.
– Cairo Car: 125 C. Hijaz – Mohandessin 7452393.
– Heptones Limousine: 6 C. Nozha – Heli6polis 4177500.
– Limousine Heliopolis: 20 C. Soliman AZMY, Heli6polis. 2401789.
Having Private Car in Egypt
Enjoying greater freedom and moving from one place to another, you can be accompanied by your private car or motorcycle. The highways and the byways linking major cities are reasonably paved. Along the roads, you can find gas stations, service stations, restaurants and tourist rest houses.