In 1913 AD, the Egyptian Government decided to establish a Museum of Archeology in Tanta, inside the municipality building. It was closed and reopened several times and its contents were put in storage. On 29 October 1990 AD, the Museum was opened to the public. It occupies 5 floors: the first four of which house a collection of antiquities while the fifth has a conference room and provides some storage facilities. The exhibits include collections of artistic and architectural pieces that represent Egypt’s civilization from the time of ancient Egypt, through the Greco-Roman, and Coptic and finally the Islamic periods.