The An-Nakhl Citadel is one of the most important stop-overs in North Sinai. It rests on a high hill in the city of Nakhel, near the International Road in middle Sinai. It enjoys a strategic location. It was built by the Mamluke Sultan Qansuh El Ghuri in 1516 a few months before his defeat by the Ottoman Turks. In its plan, the fort has a square shape with 5 towers. It was restored in 1594 by the Ottoman Sultan Mourad the Third who inscribed on the fort’s main gate “God Bless Our Great Sultan Mourad Khan”.