Madrasa and Khanqah of Sultan Barquq in El Muiz Street
The Madrasa-Khanqah of Sultan Barquq lies in El Muiz Le Din Allah Street next to the Mosque and Madrasa of Kamil Ayyub and the Madrasa of El Nasir. This complex was consisting of a Khanqah or hospise for the Sufi students, a Madrasa or a school that was a place for worship and study of Quran and prophetic instructions, and a mausoleum standing in one of the corners of the Madrasa. It was established by Sultan Barquq who was the first Bahri Mamluk to ascend the throne of Egypt in 1382 and the husband of the widow of Sultan Shaban. The historians expound that he managed to assume the power after killing many people and plotting against others. After holding the power he worked hard to defend his throne and protect it from the plots of the Syrian Mamluk Emirs.
The style of decoration of the early Burgi Mamluk is not remarkably different from the Bahri Mamluk style. This appears clearly in the horizontally shaped façade with beautiful recesses on it, and the Minaret with its vertical thrust.
The entrance of the Mosque-Madrasa can be seen nearby El-Nasir Madrasa with a rectangular form and harmoniously decorated panels on it. The doors are beautified with bronze vestiges and silver star-shaped patterns and the central one is ornamented with the name of the constructor, Barquq, on it. To reach the marble mosaic-paved courtyard that features large porphyry disks by its end, one should walk through a vaulted vestibule.
The interior plan of the Madrasa consists of four aisles surrounding the central courtyard. The ceiling of the Madrasa is supported with handsome porphyry columns that date back to the Pharaonic era. The interior part was illuminated by beautifully enameled lamps hanging down from the ceiling, and some of it still exist in the Museum of Islamic Art in Cairo. To reach the places of the Sufi students in the upper floor, one should go through one of the four side doors handsomely ornamented with medallions. The Minbar of the mosque dates from 1440 and was gifted to the mosque by Sultan Gaqmaq. The central aisle of the Qibla stands on the right side of the entrance and is supported with lateral arches.
From the door in the Qibla aisle in the right side of the entrance one can enter the Mausoleum of Fatima the daughter of Sultan Barquq, while the Sultan himself is buried in his mausoleum in the Northern Cemetery. The tomb is preceded by a vast area dedicated to reciting Quran. The interior plan of the shrine is surmounted by a canopy dome that is handsomely decorated with arabesque stalactites and supported with gilded pendentives. The floor of the tomb is marble inlaid and it was illuminated through windows with stained glass. The mausoleum was renovated in the 20th century and it is still preserved.