The Church and Monastery of Mar Girgis or Deir El Banat locates in Mar Girgis Street in the Coptic Compound in Old Cairo. The original church of Mar Girgis traces back to the 7th century over Babylon fortress by the famous scribe Athanasius for placing the relics of St.George in it. During the crusades attack and the fire of Fatimid Cairo the church has been totally ruined like many other churches in Cairo at that time. The present structure has been reconstructed in 1909 and since the 15th century the church is regarded as a Greek Orthodox Church.
Among the remains of the ancient Church exists the hall that is known as Qaat El Ersaan of the marriage hall that is admired for its width and height. Worth admiration in this hall, are the windows of ivory and ebony inlays ornamenting the ...Read More